• Last day for seniors is May 24th.

• There will be a 2 hour early dismissal on Friday, May 25.

• All finals will be held on Wednesday May 23, and Thursday May 24.

• Pre-K and kindergarten graduation will be held on Friday, May 25.

Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Michael Pochron – Editor

More stories from Michael Pochron

A Final Farewell
May 24, 2017

Recently YouTube’s biggest and most beloved personality, PewDiePie, has been dropped from his network Maker Studios. This is as a result of him making jokes in his most recent video that were considered anti-semitic, however many newspaper contributors and editors did not understand that those comments were satire. 

Many content creators have taken to supporting PewDiePie on this whole situation. Some have commented on it such as and have made good points such as Pyrocynical saying “When I first came onto YouTube and I was naive little kid. I saw PewDiepie and I was like, ‘It must be great that he’s number one, he must feel amazed that he can put out anything and people love it, how he can speak his mind and people listen, how he’s got all of that relevancy.’ But, after seeing this, I feel sorry for the guy, I really do.”

The Wall Street Journal also requested that Disney, owner of Maker Studios, drop PewDiePie as soon as possible. The newspaper sources “exposed” him as a disgusting, anti-semitic individual and labeling him as a Nazi supporter. Maker studios has declined to talk about this situation, and other content creators with Maker have sided against him to just keep their contract. One such creator know as Jacksepticeye, who is a well known and good friend of PewDiePie, has taken an extremely harsh stance against his friend on this situation.  In response to this, fans theorised on his sudden change of heart and deduced that he was being forced to speak against his friend. What is ironic about this whole situation is that other more offensive, weird and downright insane content creators, that are still with Maker are not being reported on. These channels would include but are not limited to HowtoBasic, TheFineBros and even TVFilthyFrank who PewDiePie is considered by many content creators to be the watered down, Saturday Night Live version of.

Personally, I believe this situation is a gigantic train wreck due to the Wall Street Journal falsely judging this person and ruining his livelihood due to misunderstanding the situation. It is also extremely unfair in my opinion and has been punished for simply making a joke. The worst part in my opinion is that they are refusing to admit that they messed up and take responsibility for their actions.

Michael Pochron, Editor
Michael Pochron is a senior and a second year Journalism student. He actively participates in the Waynesburg Rifle Team and the J-M Marching Band as well as being a member of the Leo Club. Michael is also the president of the J-M Band and section leader of the drum line. Michael’s hobbies include playing video...
  • Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

2018 Officer Training

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

Looking For a Leader

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

Wiggins Takes Offense to Being Third

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

Wrestling Season Comes to an End

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

4-h Capital Days

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

Rockets Advance One to Hershey

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

Kobe King-Hawea’s Big Break

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

Rockets Take Three to Regionals

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

What’s the Move for Lebron?

• Are Jokes Just Jokes?

Staff Columns

PA 4-H Animal Science Camp

Are Jokes Just Jokes?