• Last day for seniors is May 24th.

• There will be a 2 hour early dismissal on Friday, May 25.

• All finals will be held on Wednesday May 23, and Thursday May 24.

• Pre-K and kindergarten graduation will be held on Friday, May 25.

Changing the Game

Savannah Saesan – Editor

More stories from Savannah Saesan

Like many things in today’s society, food is changing drastically. Food is being  chemically enhanced, and now has longer shelf life. Scientists in the University of Florida are now hoping they can make tomatoes once again taste like tomatoes, instead of artificial flavors and chemicals.

Tomatoes are said to be around 1,000 times bigger than they used to be. “Researchers studying nearly 400 varieties of tomato discovered at least 25 chemicals and aroma compounds that combine to create what we think of as a tomato’s flavor. But they found 13 of those were “significantly reduced” in modern tomato varieties, either because growers were breeding for cheaper, bigger, longer-lasting tomatoes, or because they just weren’t paying attention,” according to Fox News Magazine.

Powell, the retired tomato expert from UC Davis, said the new work is exciting because it gives breeders a genetic road map for putting flavor back in the fruit. “Tomatoes are used in cuisines around the world, and different cultures have different preferences for flavors they like,” she said. “In Japan they like them super sweet, and in parts of Europe they like them with that green taste. Thanks to this work, the tomato can be made much more versatile,” according to LA times said.

“I think it is a cool idea. It is amazing that we are capable of doing that with our science we have today,” said Morgan Spencer.

“It is weird that they are going to put more chemicals in to change the already chemically enhanced tomatoes. I do not need any more chemicals in my body than I already have. I think it is not a smart idea,” said Tyler Woolen a sophomore.

Savannah Saesan, Editor
Savannah Saesan is a junior and a second year Journalism student. Savannah participates in volleyball, and basketball. She also volunteers at her church with children from toddlers to 10 years old. Savannah loves to listen to music and figure out ways to decorate the house. She is an advid reader and likes to binge watch her favorites...
  • Changing the Game

News

Police Officers Shot After Responding to Domestic Violence Call

• Changing the Game

News

Night in the Lights

• Changing the Game

News

North Korea Facing Great Aftershocks of Hydrogen Bomb

• Changing the Game

News

Liangelo Ball gets Busted

• Changing the Game

News

Triple ARBA Show

• Changing the Game

News

Carl Sargeant Incident

• Changing the Game

News

Veterans Day Program

• Changing the Game

News

Election Day in Greene County

• Changing the Game

News

Kansas City Causes Chaos

• Changing the Game

News

Winter Sports

Changing the Game