• Remember to participate in the homecoming spirit week! Check the posters in the hallways to see what to wear!

• On Friday, October 19th Jefferson Morgan High/Middle School will hold their fall pep-rally

• The homecoming football game will be held on Friday, October 19th. The theme is pink out!

• The drama club has selected the comedy, "Don't Drink the Water", as their show for this year

Shelby Burkett – Athlete Biography

Michael Pochron – Editor

More stories from Michael Pochron

A Final Farewell
May 24, 2017

Shelby Burkett is a freshman and a member of the Waynesburg Rifle Team.

This is Burkett’s first year in rifle. She also participates in marching band for over two years and has been participating in dance ever since she was little. Participation in both marching band and dance have taught her values such as teamwork and maintaining focus under pressure, which are skills that she still uses for rifle.

“I was inspired to join the rifle team because my mom was in a rifle team when she was in high school. I was also interested to join rifle team because Michael Pochron constantly talked about it in band” said Burkett.

When Burkett first shot with this she was initially taken back because she never shot with a sling and was not prepared for how numb it made her arm feel. A sling, which is a device which is attached and tightened to the users bicep and forearm of rifle that constricts and movement in return this allows for better and more consistent shooting. Burkett personally believes that this sport is difficult due to it being unlike anything else she has ever done.

The best part of rifle to Burkett is “having people you know at rifle who help me improve on my shooting.”

The most difficult aspect of rifle is staying completely and totally focused when shooting. One thing she advises newcomers is that the sport is difficult and to not get frustrated and discouraged.

After high school Burkett’s plans to continue rifle are not clear at the moment. However, she plans on attending Ohio State, and she aspires to be a drum major for their marching band.

Michael Pochron, Editor

Michael Pochron is a senior and a second year Journalism student.

He actively participates in the Waynesburg Rifle Team and the J-M Marching Band as well as being a member of the Leo Club. Michael is also the president of the J-M Band and section leader of the drum line.

Michael’s hobbies include playing video games, reading books and spending time with his friends and family.

Shelby Burkett – Athlete Biography